加載中...
加載內容中,請稍候...
November 15
11月15日
[47] We moved into our new apartment today, and it's bigger than the house we had in Mississippi.
我們今天搬進了新公寓,它比我們在密西西比的房子還要大。
There are two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, a dining room, and a bathroom!
有兩間臥室、一間客廳、一間廚房、一間餐廳和一間浴室!
加載單字中...
[48] Mostly white residents live in this neighborhood, and we will be one of the few Negro families.
這個社區主要住著白人居民,我們將成為少數的黑人家庭之一。
Not everyone was welcoming when we arrived.
我們到達時,並非所有人都表示歡迎。
A white mother and son were standing on the sidewalk as Mama and I carried a couple of our bags into the building.
當媽媽和我拿著幾個袋子走進大樓時,一對白人母子站在人行道上。
The mother frowned at us just like Mr. Greenfield used to, then the son stuck out his tongue and spit on the ground near our feet.
那位母親對我們皺著眉頭,就像格林菲爾德先生以前那樣,然後那個男孩吐出舌頭,在我們腳邊的地上吐口水。
加載單字中...
[49] Mama put an arm around me and hurried us both inside.
媽媽用一隻手臂環抱著我,催促我們倆趕緊進到裡面。
As we climbed the three flights to our apartment, she said, "Even though things are different here, some things will still be the same.
當我們爬了三段樓梯前往公寓時,她說:「儘管這裡有些情況不同了,但有些事仍然會一樣。
We will have to face them the best that we can."
我們必須盡我們所能去面對它們。」
I nodded to show her that I understood.
我點了點頭,表示我明白了。
加載單字中...
[50] The idea that discrimination wasn't only in the South made me sad, but I felt better when I saw my new bedroom.
想到歧視不僅僅存在於南方讓我很難過,但當我看到我的新臥室時,感覺好了一些。
I still had to share it with Mary and Buck, but it was bigger than our old room, and it had a set of bunk beds!
我仍然必須和瑪麗、巴克共用,但它比我們原來的房間大,而且還有一組雙層床!
Buck was too scared to sleep on the top bed, and Mary didn't care.
巴克太害怕不敢睡上鋪,而瑪麗則無所謂。
I took the top bunk, and I love it already!
我睡了上鋪,而且我已經愛上它了!
I decided to keep this journal tucked underneath my new mattress where no one will find it.
我決定把這本日記塞在我的新床墊下面,沒有人會找到它。
加載單字中...
[51] Today was a special day—I went to a library for the first time!
今天是個特別的日子——我第一次去了圖書館!
I have to write a current events report for school, so my new friend Sally said we should go to the library to look through newspapers for research.
我必須為學校寫一份時事報告,所以我的新朋友莎莉說我們應該去圖書館翻閱報紙來做研究。
My mouth dropped open when she made the suggestion.
當她提出這個建議時,我驚訝得張大了嘴巴。
I almost said that Negroes aren't allowed to go to the library, but then I remembered that things are different in California.
我差點脫口說出黑人不被允許去圖書館,但隨後我想起在加州情況是不同的。
加載單字中...
November 20
11月20日
[52] After school, Sally and I walked to a library that was a few blocks away.
放學後,莎莉和我步行去了幾個街區外的一家圖書館。
When I stepped inside, I stopped and stared in amazement.
當我走進去時,我停下來,驚奇地凝視著。
I had never seen so many books in one place!
我從未在一個地方看過這麼多書!
Everywhere I looked, there were shelves and shelves filled with books.
目光所及之處,都是一排排裝滿書的書架。
The shelves stretched up to the ceiling and were so high that ladders leaned against them, so the librarians could climb up to the top shelves.
書架向上延伸到天花板,非常高,以至於有梯子靠在旁邊,讓圖書館員可以爬上去拿頂層的書。
加載單字中...
[53] Even though there's no segregation, there weren't many other Negroes at the library.
即使沒有種族隔離,圖書館裡也沒有很多其他黑人。
That's probably because mostly white people live and work in this community.
這可能是因為在這個社區居住和工作的大多是白人。
The librarian who greeted us at the front desk looked a little surprised to see me walk in.
在前台接待我們的圖書館員看到我走進來時,看起來有點驚訝。
I felt uncomfortable at first, and worried that she might frown like Mr. Greenfield and some of my white neighbors do.
起初我感到不自在,擔心她也會像格林菲爾德先生和我的一些白人鄰居那樣皺起眉頭。
But the librarian broke into a smile and asked us what we needed.
但那位圖書館員露出了微笑,並問我們需要什麼。
She helped us find just the right articles for our report.
她幫助我們找到了非常適合我們報告的文章。
加載單字中...
November 26
11月26日
[54] It's Thanksgiving Day, so we all have the day off.
今天是感恩節,所以我們都放假一天。
Last night, Daddy brought home a surprise: a radio!
昨晚,爸爸帶回家一個驚喜:一台收音機!
We've never had a radio of our own.
我們從來沒有過自己的收音機。
This morning, we listened to news about the war.
今天早上,我們收聽了關於戰爭的新聞。
Daddy and Mama are proud that their work helps the soldiers.
爸爸和媽媽為他們的工作能幫助士兵而感到自豪。
The money they make helps us, too.
他們賺的錢也幫助了我們。
We have a nice home, and we don't have worry about Mr. Greenfield or boll weevils anymore.
我們有了一個舒適的家,再也不需要擔心格林菲爾德先生或棉鈴象鼻蟲了。
加載單字中...
[55] I should stop writing and help with Thanksgiving dinner.
我應該停止寫作,去幫忙準備感恩節晚餐了。
Uncle Eugene is on his way over.
尤金叔叔正在過來的路上。
So is another Negro family who moved into the building.
搬進這棟大樓的另一戶黑人家庭也要來。
Like us, the Johnsons left the segregated South to find a better life in the West.
和我們一樣,強森一家離開了實行種族隔離的南方,到西部來尋找更好的生活。
加載單字中...
[56] It's funny that this time last year all of us were living thousands of miles away.
有趣的是,去年的這個時候,我們所有人都還住在幾千英里之外。
Not everything is perfect in Los Angeles.
在洛杉磯,並非一切都是完美的。
Sometimes, white people are friendly to us, and sometimes they aren't.
有時候,白人對我們很友善,有時候則不然。
It's hard not knowing what to expect, but this is our home now.
不知道會發生什麼事讓人難受,但這裡現在是我們的家了。
And at the moment, I can't think of anywhere that I would rather be.
而此時此刻,我想不到還有其他更想去的地方。
加載單字中...